Saturday, January 29, 2011

Ready.

I woke this morning after 11 hours sleep (my roommate snores like a freight train, so I get what I can on the weekend), feeling tired.  I'm pretty worn out. I've been killing myself at the gym the past couple weeks and it feels good.  I wasn't able to maintain the higher mileage I'd been doing, but I made up for it with about 2.5 hours spent in the gym every day biking/rowing/lifting, with a few miles on the treadmills, often barefoot, to keep my lower joints used to impact.

So now, two weeks out from my first 50k(++)  (Holiday Lake in Appomattox, VA), I feel like I think I should, worn out.  I'm tired, and after a nice taper I should be race-ready.  I've been running more and more the past few days, and my ankle has held up just fine, albeit the running was done on a treadmill.  I'm hitting the road today for 6-8 miles, and then I'm running one loop of the course tomorrow (16ish) then I'll squeeze in a few more runs upwards of 10 miles, followed by a-week-and-a-half long taper to the race.

Below is an example day of what I've been doing in the gym:
Bike 35-45 Minutes (12-16 miles)
Row for 10 minutes (~2000m)
Bike for 20 Minutes [high intensity] (7+ miles)
Leg Press (6 sets of 15 reps)
Standing Hamstring machine (3 sets of 10)
Calf Raises  (4 sets of 15)
Planks (raise each leg on a 3-second up, hold 3 seconds, down 3 seconds timing)
Oblique planks
Elongated/elevated crunches
Run 3 miles (either increasing speed or incline as I go)

That's the best I could to to replicate regular running training, and I actually like going. I think that after this race I'll keep going in the evenings for cross-training since apparently my legs don't like doing 2-a-day runs as much as my mind does.

No comments:

Post a Comment